Monday, July 13, 2009

Does cussing (cursing, foul language) help you make a point?

I am not sure why I picked this topic for today. Maybe it is because you just about can't watch anything on TV without hearing at least ONE cuss word. I just don't understand people's use of them either. I don't cuss. I just don't. I can smash my finger, break a glass, cut my foot and watch a favorite team lose - all without ONE cuss word. I just think it is useless language. Now, I am no goodie-two-shoes! I have my own issues (which is another post in itself). I can be judgemental. I can gossip. I can even lie. However, I can do all of those without using offensive language. Does that make me better than you ("you" in a general sense)? No. I think the use of foul language can make the most attractive person become the most UNattractive person in the breath it takes them to say the word.

My 8-year-old son used the word "hell" in context a few days ago. After my husband explained to him that we don't use that type of language, he finally admitted that he heard it used in the movie Kicking and Screaming with Will Ferrell. Now, that movie is stinking funny, but I am sure it would be just as funny without the foul language. I am not going to spend my time sensoring EVERY movie (PG of course) for reasons not to let my children see them. I can only hope that the moral values that we instill at home will help them to make the right decisions when they need to.

Of course, this is just my opinion - which I am entitled to have. You can try to change it, but I am pretty stuck on this one.

As always, I am interested in your comments. Until next time......

2 comments:

  1. First of all, this blog is SO YOU!! Ha! I can just 'hear' you saying all of this! This time, I do agree, cursing is very unattractive & it really bugs me when movies (especially children's) use it when it is totally unnecessary.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! i am reminded of the scripture that asks the rhetorical question...should praise and cursing come from the same lips--NO!

    ReplyDelete