Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Do you have good "Beach Manners"?

While talking with friends today, the subject of beach vacations came up. Well, most of the people who I socialize with vacation at least once during the year at the beach. As we were talking today, we all agreed that we find it in poor taste for people with those large family tents - and sometimes multiple tents - to set up right at the edge of the water making it impossible for anyone else who gets to the beach later than 6:30 AM to see the water from their chairs. Now, before you go saying that it is "first come, first serve", let's be reasonable. Those people who set up at 6:30 AM aren't actually on the beach, nor do you need shade at that time of the morning. They are still in their houses/condos/hotels sleeping, eating breakfast or getting ready. They purely get their gear set up to get the front row. I am all about the front row - but please - set your tent up closer to the back and bring an umbrella to use near the water! I think it is just discourteous to do otherwise. I wonder if those same "front-row-beach-tenters" are discourteous in other areas as well.

What do you think? Do you agree with me? Disagree with me? Why? Are you one of those people? Do you feel a sense of entitlement? Please enlighten me!! I MAY even see your point.

Please, let me hear from you. Until next time....

2 comments:

  1. We are a TENT Family. I have to agree and disagree on some points. We go to the beach for the entire day. We are not in a condo, we rent a home/beach house so we are rarely in a crowded place. So, I think that a lot of these points do not apply to my family. But in our case, in addition to making the trek down to the beach and toting a large cooler of drinks, beach bags, chairs, floats, snacks and add dragging this ezup portable tent on wheels in the hot sulking sun is exhausting. So, yes, we DO put our tent close to the water's edge. But we do it away from other people that have their "stake" in the stand. Because we have as much right as someone with an umbrella that loves the sun and beach does. Also, we want to be able to watch our children while they play in the waters edge. We used to set the tent back, then someone comes down at 12 noon, plants their family of 5 in front of our tent. By doing so, blocks our view of our children by putting their "umbrella" up. It's a safety issue for us. Just another opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are in a house, then I would agree that you have the option of the beach front that the house sits on. However, condos are different because one part of beach front serves many tenants. So, we will have to disagree on this topic. Umbrellas are easier to see around than tents - especially if you have more than one set up right next to each other. I do think that people should not set right up in the door of your tent, but I would have to believe that just like you and I differ in our opinions about tents, they will have a reason for what they do, too! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete