Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rules are meant to be broken - or are they?

I like people who follow the rules. Does that mean I like the RULES? Not necessarily. For instance, sometimes the speed limit irritates me. But, if I choose to break the rule, and IF I get caught, then the punishment is mine. I own it! My fault!

My children are rule followers. Well, they follow everyone's rules but mine! Ha! No, really, they are rule followers. They truly get bent out of shape if someone at school is talking to them when there is supposed to be "no talking". My daughter will panic if she thinks that person is going to get her in trouble! And I know that sometimes people get called "guilty by association" when in fact, they have done nothing wrong. That stinks! It happens, but it stinks! My son, who is VERY competitive, will have a melt down if he thinks someone is "cheating" to win! He will call them out, too!

I am afraid they inherited this trait from me. Not that being a rule follower isn't good. But if you don't know how to let it go when you need to, it will take you down! Sometimes, I let those rule breakers get under my skin and it festers into a boil! I wish I could follow the advice that I give my children. As long as I am doing the right thing, don't worry about who is doing it wrong! You know, Do as I say, not as I do! Easier said than done, right???

However, that day will come when we are all affected by that one bad apple in the bunch! You know, it spoils it for the rest! I can't stand that either! Who said that is fair? Ah!!! But life isn't fair, is it?

So, are you a rule follower? Or a rule breaker? Chances are we all THINK we are followers. Some may see me as a rule breaker, which is different than how I see myself. Sometimes we just think the rules apply to everyone but ourselves, don't we?

Weigh in with your opinion! Love to hear it! Until next time......(when I talk about parents who avoid disciplining their kids!)

No comments:

Post a Comment